Tuesday, September 14, 2010

army blues

Tonight Gloria and I went to an Army Blues Quintet concert in town and it was great! The bass player was from Orem and went to BYU. What? Small world. He is also married (sorry, Gloria) and has a new little son named Ethan that he wrote a song for and they played it and it was great. I love songs that are written for people... Especially if that person happens to be me. Fun fact.

I was surprised how much I liked the blues concert actually. There was something about the music tonight that made me really reminiscent and it was like the music was directing my thoughts and feelings in a subtle but direct way. It made me think a lot about the different ways that my life could have turned out. I could be married and have a 3 year old by now, and probably still be living in Utah. I could be back in Ecuador working for the organization I volunteered with last year. I could be in Boston working and going to a bookbinding trade school. I could still be at home making bank and living with my parents, but feeling sort of lost and purposeless. I could be engaged to a boy who told me that he would join the army band to support our family if we wanted to have kids right away so we would have a steady income. And it's really interesting to me that all of these options are totally realistic: any one of these paths could have been chosen at any time in my life, and sometimes it was more obvious than others if not choosing them was really the right thing to do. But you know what? I'm really glad that I am where I am right now. I know that this is where I'm supposed to be. So I know that there are good things yet to come: and that makes me happy.

No comments: