Saturday, May 1, 2010

may day!

Today is May Day AND the first day of my "31 Projects in 31 Days" challenge. This was thought of by my lovely friend Tess as a tradition she usually keeps during the month of January. She uses it as a way to finally get around to all of those things that she's been meaning to do but hasn't quite gotten around to doing yet. Inspired (and supported) by her I've decided to take the challenge myself and both of us are dedicating May of 2010 to 31 Projects in 31 Days. I'm going to use it as an excuse to make all of the books that have been floating around in my head for who knows how long so that I can finally feel like I've accomplished something AND create some inventory for the many (?) craft fairs that Teresa and I will (hopefully) be selling at this summer. Phew! We'll see how it goes.

Additionally, we would like to invite YOU the reader (and devoted fan/friend/lover/former-lover/distant and not so distant relative/stalker/etc) to join with us in our quest! I'll be posting my projects here for you to see and in turn, if you email me {cassandra (dot) elton (at) gmail (dot) com} pictures of your projects, I'll post them as well! (Also feel free to just leave a comment on the blog as a way to avoid having to photograph your work which I know, for me at least, is the most daunting part of the whole thing.)

As a side note, I went to May Day at Dingo Dong Lounge today and was lucky enough to spend hours upon hours working the Purgatory Pie Press booth (and later stuck in the subway) with Esther's daughter Georgia. She is one of my new favorite people. I was a little worried about spending so long with someone I had never met before (or maybe met once when I first met Esther at the Books Art's workshop she taught but it could have been her other daughter I can't really remember...) but we got along splendidly and I'm so glad that I was able to rearrange my schedule so I could make it out there (thanks, Wendy!). I got some cool stuff, including some embroidered cards, a CD, a collection of short stories & poetry, and a whale painting, all of which completed me. Perhaps I will post pictures of the goods later, but, as aforementioned, photographing things is always stressful for me, so I make no promises. In closing, despite the heat, the loud music, and one crazy guy who we were afraid was going to spill his beer all over our table stocked with first edition, one-of-a-kind, signed copies of lovely books and book-like things, it was a wonderful day.

Happy May Day to all! And to all a good night.

1 comment:

Autumn @ Autumn All Along said...

You're so craftsy! I remember those earrings you made which were amazing, I'm excited to see your projects :)