Sunday, September 19, 2010

nauvoo-oo





Today I got back from an LDS YSA Conference (translation: Mormon Single's weekend shin-dig) in Nauvoo, Illinois. The only picture I took the whole weekend? The once seen above of an outdoor water fountain at Carthage Jail that looks as if it is springing forth from the earth's bounty. I have no explanation for my lack of photographic recording, other than that I blame my study abroad in Spain three years ago: I took so many pictures during that 3 month period of my life and seem never to have recovered.

Regardless, I had a pretty great time. Marla asked me what I thought of the whole thing and my response was, "I wasn't as awkward and I thought I would be, but it was pretty much what I expected." If you've ever been to a Mormon single's dance you'll know exactly what I'm talking about. I did have a good time though. It was fun to get to know people in my single's branch better and strengthen those friendships. I honestly didn't really meet anyone outside of our little group, but I felt like that was ok: I will not be seeing any of those kids much anyway, but some of those from the branch I'll be seeing 3 times a week, so I'm glad we're friends now.

Here are some highlights from the weekend:
  1. Seeing Teresa and Jordan get hypnotized by August, one of my home teachers. I'd seen hypnosis before so that part wasn't as cool as the fact that I knew the person who was making it happen. Kind of creepy, but also awesome?
  2. Kristan, who I met when I came out here in July and who drove me around on Sunday like a saint, kicked an Autistic kid in the face on Saturday. Yes, you read that correctly: she kicked an Autistic child full on in the face. I sadly was not there to witness said kicking, but apparently she and some other kids from our group were at one of the playgrounds in Nauvoo swinging on the swings. There was also a little girl there with her dad and, seeing an empty swing next to Kristan, ran directly in front of the swingers to get to the vacant swing. Poor Kristan couldn't stop herself in time and kicked her right below the eye. Apparently they saw her later playing with her dad and she had a huge bruise on her face. Yes, it's sad and yes I know that Kristan feels bad about it, but, come on, that's hilarious! When I heard about it I couldn't stop laughing. Don't judge me.
  3. Braeden and I discovered that we are the same person. Which is amazing on so many levels. To give you an idea of how awesome he is, he always wears a bow tie to church, is going to graduate school at the U of I for Spanish, and plays guitar. And I feel like that description is completely inadequate to describe his being, but there are really no words that would do him justice. You'll just have to come to Iowa to meet him slash maybe I will one day take a picture (or video?) of him to show you.
  4. I learned that I am perfectly comfortable sleeping burrito style in my giant Celtic sheet blanket with my little orange squishy pillow under my head in an alcove with a slanted ceiling crammed with two other mattresses and 3 other people. I love that blanket more and more as the years progress. Also my ability to sleep anywhere.
There is probably much more to share but at this moment my brain is too tired to think anymore. Lo siento.

1 comment:

Autumn @ Autumn All Along said...

I am so glad you had a fun YSA activity, we never really had any which is in a large part of why I transferred to BYU.