Thursday, September 29, 2011

art class

Drawing class has been surprisingly stressful.

But apparently my drawing is "poetic," "has a definite style" and is "reminiscent of Amedeo Modigliani."

I guess my teachers probably know what they're talking about, but even so I find myself actively fighting off tears of frustration every week as I struggle over my figure drawings. If the class hadn't been so expensive we probably would have stopped going after the first week or two. But it's probably good not to give up, right?

Here are some pictures of my recent attempts (keep in mind we aren't allowed to erase any marks once they've been put on paper):


This was the drawing deemed "poetic."
I like it except for the super awkward upper right arm which I couldn't seem to make any better...

Attempts at faces.
They all look like people, but they are supposed to be drawings of the same person...
Profile 1
Profile 2
Profile 3. Again, all supposed to be the same person.

This was a copy of a painting I was assigned.
It doesn't look anything like the original, especially because the face is so long.
This was the one that was deemed "reminiscent of Amedeo Modigliani."

This was another copy of a painting.
Again, doesn't look like the original.
Someone in the class said that  it "has a definite style."

2 comments:

Unknown said...

These are not bad at all! I think you are judging yourself too harshly my friend. The problem with the portraits is that the faces are all different sizes, but I can see the consistent elements through them showing that they are the same person. As for the awkward arm, the way the object in front of the arm is angled makes that really hard to draw. I really like the two that were based off paintings, it might not have been what you intended but I think what you ended up with is awesome.

You really can't erase anything? What kind of evil class is this, pencils have erasers for a reason. Hang in there, I think you will be really proud of yourself when you finish the class.

Cassandra said...

Awe, thanks, Erin. I appreciate your encouragement. I usually like the drawings better the more time I spend away from them...