Wednesday, August 31, 2011

library card catalog banner

Tonight I made a lil' bunting banner out of the cards from the old library card catalog (not the catalog pictured behind the banner, the university's old library card catalog). This is also for the celebration tomorrow and I'm really pleased with how it came out!
(Click to enlarge.)
(Click to enlarge.)
I'd seen a couple tutorials on how to make banners, but they all involved either folding the pieces over the string or punching two holes in the cards or sewing them all together with a top stitch, but I didn't want to do any of those things: I wanted to use the single hole that was already in the cards and not add any more.

So I looped them.

Normally when doing this kind of loop my instinct is to loop over the string, but that doesn't work when you have a big long string you're working with: it's just too unwieldy, especially when part of the string has other cards already attached.
Looping over the string: only works for one card per string.

So instead I looped over the card.
Looping over the card: works for an infinite number of cards and an infinite length of string.
 The attachment to the cards looked like this:
(PS I also doubled up on the cards so there was print showing no matter what direction the cards ended up facing.)

I think the best way to do single-hole string attachments is with this looping method, but the best over all is the fold-over method since that way the flaps hang down better aligned and all facing the same way. 
But I'm still really pleased with how this banner turned out: I hope my co-workers like it too.


Anonymous said...

This is brilliant! Brava. Great job of lateral thinking.
XOXO Aunt Debra
P.S. I love your blog!

Cassandra said...

Thanks, Aunt Debra! I love YOU!