Friday, August 27, 2010

homemade pizza

One of my favorite recipes I have is one for homemade pizza. That's right, crust and all. Are you intimidated? Impressed with my culinary skill? You shouldn't be. It's easy, you can do it too.

Here's the recipe, which I got from my lovely friend Jen over a year ago:

1/2 T yeast
1/2 c. warm water
1/2 t sugar
1/4 t salt
1 T oil
1 1/2 c. flour

Take the yeast and mix in the warm water until the yeast has all dissolved. Then add the other ingredients. I usually add a little more flour at the end because the dough is still sticky. You can either cook this on a pizza stone (if you are blessed enough to have one) or just on a regular cookie sheet. I do it either way. If you want to go the pizza stone route you'll need corn meal to put on the pizza peel so it will slide off nicely onto the stone.

After you've got the dough all mixed up, roll it out onto your surface of choice. I've never owned a rolling pin so I usually just push it out with my fingers until it's about the size I'd like, or I use a plastic tumbler as a rolling pin to get it started. This amount of dough supposedly gives you between a 9-10 in pizza, but it really depends on how thick you make your crust. It you want it thicker, it'll be smaller. If you want it thinner it'll be bigger. If I remember correctly, if you want to fill an entire standard sized cookie sheet you'll need to double the recipe.

Add sauce, cheese, and toppings of choice. Some of my favorite toppings are zucchini, pepperoni, tomato, green peppers, onions, and asparagus. Lots of vegetables that you wouldn't normally consider to be pizza worthy are actually amazingly delicious, like the asparagus. You can also swap out the red pizza sauce for bbq sauce and put chicken on top to make a bbq chicken pizza and that is also a-MAZE-ing.

Once all your sauces, cheeses, and toppings are on, stick it in the oven at 350 degrees F for 10-15 minutes. I usually err on the longer side to make the crust a little crispier. Sometimes the sauce gets a little soupy so you have to eat it with a fork and knife, but that's no big deal. Also, did I mention it is delicious?

So there you have it. Easy peazy. Now go make yourself some!

No comments: