Tuesday, September 15, 2009

travel sounds

I've been thinking about traveling. I recently counted and I have visited over 12 countries on 4 continents. I found this article that talks about how important sound is in travel, so here are some sounds that I remember from places I have been, including where I am presently:

Cuenca, Ecuador: sirens, the barking of stray dogs, airplanes in flight, revving engines, car alarms, cars honking, and whistles, kissing noises, and "hey baby" from men on the street

Costa Rica: lapping waves, white-faced monkey calls, tree frog sounds, and a conch shell calling me to dinner

Singapore: cars, silence, and the clinking of plates/silverware at restaurants, the sound of tea being poured over a man's shoulder through a large tea pot with a very long spout

Alcalá de Henares, Spain: loud talking of Pilar and la vecina in the kitchen, the dump truck using a crane to pick up the dumpsters full of trash and dumping them out late at night, passing pedestrian conversation, buses, the neighbor talking on the phone audible through our shared wall, the buzzer of the apartment to let people in, the turning of the key in the door around and around and around to open all the locks, crackling of cooking oil on the stove, theme song from "Corazón Corazón" and of "Karlos Arguiñano en tu cocina," a cooking show we watched at every meal

1 comment:

steph goodson said...

sigh, i miss the sound of the conch shell. and our monkey calls. and the indian calls or intense blowing. hahaha good times had by all.