Thursday, January 29, 2015

food

Normally I don't really make New Year's resolutions. I don't like them. I feel like by the end of January I'm already not doing any of the things I vowed to do for the whole year and that just makes me feel like a failure, and who wants to feel like a failure, right?

Regardless, this year Braed and I made some "goals" for the new year. I know I know, that's basically the same thing, BUT our goals are just for January, then we'll re-evaluate for February, etc. That way they feel much more attainable and are less of a commitment. Whatever works, right?

One of our goals for January was to make more food at home (which also tied in to one of our other goals: to take control of our budget and eat out less). One of the hardest parts of eating at home is deciding what food to make and having the ingredients to make it. To help with that I planned out a menu (breakfast, lunch, and dinner) for every day of the week for two weeks at a time. I designed the menu so Sunday-Thursday dinner left-overs could be used for lunch the next day, too.

To make the menu I pulled out all our cookbooks...and then just used recipes I'd found on Pinterest. Somehow along the way I discovered this food blog called Budget Bytes.


Every recipe we've made from her blog has been AMAZING. Every. Single. One. Basically, I don't know why we go anywhere else for recipes. Some of them look a little fancy, but they are all really affordable (she breaks down each recipe into total cost and cost per serving so you don't have to take my word for it) and they're all actually really easy to make.

Here are some of our favorites:

$1.95/serving

$2.03/serving
(we've also made this with salsa instead of
 Rotel and it was maybe even better)

$1.16/serving
(we used rice instead of bulgur and it was great!)

$1.29/serving

$1.35/serving
So...yes. Go. Go make some delicious food of your own. And you don't even have to thank me for it. ;)

1 comment:

heidi said...

Those dishes look really interesting and tasty! I used to plan out menus like that and it made it sooo much easier to make dinner. It's not the preparation that's hard it's the deciding. One other tip is I kept the weeks menus so I could look at them later to plan for future weeks. I also had categories that I would fill like a vegetarian meal, a Mexican meal, a soup etc. Good for you Cass! I hope this turns out as well as you hope. I think it's a great plan!