Thursday, October 13, 2011

i made this book.

I made this book today for my bookbinding class. This is called a long and link stitch binding. (The long stitches are the straight up and down ones, the links are at the top and bottom of the spine, as well as the circle in the middle.) After seeing the books in the conservation lab, this style was the one I was most excited about learning.

I really liked how it turned out so I thought I'd share. I got all of the materials either from the freebie drawer in the campus studio or via unlimited material access thanks to my semester studio fee. This is the first time I've used leather on a book (not counting a tiny book I made for a non-bookbinding class once in my undergrad and I didn't really know what I was doing) and I think it came out well!

Click to enlarge.
(And feel free to ignore The Daily Show on the tv in the background...)

Click to enlarge.
Spine detail.
I used a Japanese push drill to punch the holes.
I now covet one very much.

I love the surprise of the red paste down inside.
Not bad, eh?

No comments: