Tuesday, June 23, 2009

camp summer

So I made it! We traveled cross country and now I am in northeastern Pennsylvania at "Camp Summer." We are not allowed to use the name of the camp in any kind of electronic publications so I will now be using the moniker "Camp Summer."

So far Camp Summer has been pretty chill. There are no kids here yet, it's just training this week so I'm just making friends with some of the other counselors. I've already managed to dye my hands magenta however. Good times.

A few facts to note: I will not have constant cell phone or internet access, so I will mostly likely only be able to call/e-mail you on my days/nights off which will be Sunday and some other night yet to be determined. So, don't be offended if I take a week or so to get back to you on anything. The kids aren't supposed to see our cell phones or laptops so I will most likely not use them at all except when aforementioned. However, we are also supposed to cover all visible tattoos and midriffs and underwear are supposed to be covered by clothing at all times and that for sure doesn't happen so... We'll see what's what after the first week of camp.

Also, I have been experiencing a little bit of culture shock which is weird since I am from here. However, I realized this week that I haven't been surrounded by other kids my age who are not predominantly Mormon since high school and it's a little weird. I think I'm adjusting fairly quickly though and I've already made a few friends! One of whom is patiently sitting next to me in my car as we steal wifi from a neighbor in Hancock, NY on our first night off. He has toe shoes for mountain climbing which made him look like a ninja.

I will do my best to keep you updated on how things are going. Additionally, we are not allowed to use our cameras at camp because of liability or soemthing I'm sure, just like you can't take pictures in public schools without parent's permission. So, lame. I'm sorry. But try not to get too bored with my text-only posts for now. I'll see what I can do about making friends with the camera girls...

5 comments:

Agent goodson said...

it sounds like you are at a top secret government camp...maybe you are and you will be teaching future presidents and such. Or maybe it's a prison camp. Anyway it sounds like you are going to have great adventures! I love you!
Steph

Autumn @ Autumn All Along said...

I'm glad it sounds like you are having fun, I imagine the initial culture shock was interesting, but I am not in the least bit surprised you are making plenty of friends :)

Cassandra said...

Agent Goodson,

I can neither confirm nor deny your suspicious. More posts to follow. Stay tuned. However, please note that inquires about top secret government outposts is illegal. Thank you.

HeatherLucile said...

This weekend I was driving to and from Upstate NY and I thought... is Cassie near any of these places??? or was that camp deal in Maine. Your blog is full of answers!! I hope you are loving your time there! If you make it to the DC area this summer, let me know! Have you discovered your plans for fall yet?

Dave Buck said...

Where are you? Really?